A common misconception about muscle building is that long workouts make for long-lasting results. Unfortunately, that couldn’t be further from the truth, as all those hours you’ve spent running on the treadmill or doing an aerobic workout were basically worth nothing.
Instead of wasting an hour of your life on a single exercise each day, why not working out for 20 minutes and seeing results in a week? Now that we’ve got your attention, here are two burst exercises your muscles will appreciate.
The Side Plank
Nothing can put your body to work as the side plank can. It engages your entire core, while also activating the usually weak muscle group in your lower back. It’s a very simple exercise, yet a very efficient one too.
Here is how to do this exercise:
- Lie on your side while resting on your elbow and feet.
- Place your elbow under your shoulder and contract your abdominal muscles.
- With your knees straightened, hold the position for 5 minutes, then change sides.
The Split Lunge Jump
Now you have 10 minutes left to do something about the muscles below the waist, and this is where the split lunge jump comes in.
This exercise will make your hamstring, glutes and quadriceps grow exponentially in a short time, so make sure you don’t skip this one.
Here are the steps:
- Stand with one foot in front and the other behind you.
- With you torso straight, lower your body by bending your knees.
- Jump from this position upwards and switch you legs mid-flight.
- Once you land with your legs switched, immediately start lowering your body again and following that movement with another jump.
- Switch your feet back to the initial position while jumping. Repeat in two 5-minute sets.